Adoption Date: 4/6/2000, Revised: 3/9/2017
4000 - Instruction
4321.1 Allocation of Space for Special Education Programs and Services
The Board of Education recognizes its responsibility to ensure that appropriate space is available for:
- Special programs and services provided to meet the needs of students and preschool students with disabilities both within its own facilities, and in programs provided by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) and attended by District residents; and
- Serving students with disabilities in settings with non-disabled peers, as well.
The District will address such space allocation needs as part of its annual budget cycle, during the annual or any more frequent re-evaluation of its long-range educational facilities plan.
Through the Superintendent, the District will also share with the BOCES District Superintendent information relevant for the BOCES to determine the regional space needs for serving the District’s resident students and preschool students with disabilities.
As part of the process for ensuring the allocation of appropriate space for special education programs and services and serving students with disabilities in setting with non-disabled peers, the Superintendent, in consultation with appropriate school personnel will, at a minimum:
- Periodically gather information regarding the number of students and preschool students with disabilities presently participating and anticipated to continue to participate in the District’s special education programs and services, the type of programming they presently receive and may receive in the future, as well as the setting in which those services are and/or will be provided.
- Review the results of the District’s latest census, and other District child find efforts, including child find activities conducted with respect to parentally-placed nonpublic school students with disabilities.
- Anticipate any projected increase in the number of students and preschool students with disabilities the District will be responsible for providing special education programs and services to, the anticipated type of services they will be receiving and the setting in which those services will be provided.
- Based on the above information, review current space capability, and identify any additional space requirements to meet both current and future needs.
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 20 USC
Education Law §§3602(10)
8 NYCRR §§155.1(a); 200.2(c)(2)(iv),(v); 200.2(g)