Adoption Date: 10/12/2000, Revised: 7/10/2008; 3/20/2014
5000 - Students
5152 Admission of Non-Resident Students
The Victor Central School District accepts only those students who are legal residents of the District, except as required by law or as otherwise provided in this policy. Any student who resides outside the boundaries of the District or whose parents/guardians reside outside the boundaries of the District shall be considered a non-resident student. The District will only accept non-resident students under the following circumstances:
- The District has contractual agreements with other school districts or BOCES for the admission of non-resident students into certain programs specifically open to non-resident students in cooperation with such other districts or the BOCES and /or pursuant to Education Law § 2045. The District may enter into additional agreements for similar such programs from time to time that allow the attendance of non-resident students. In all such cases, the non-resident students’ tuition is paid by the partner school district or the BOCES.
- The District may admit non-resident students at its discretion whose parents or guardians have purchased a house within the school district, but who will not be able to take immediate occupancy. No tuition shall be charged if the parents or legal guardians become residents within ninety (90) calendar days after the student commences attendance. It is the responsibility of the parents or guardians to notify the School Office immediately upon becoming residents of the District. If legal residency commences after ninety (90) days, tuition will be charged from the first day of attendance to the start of legal residency. If, for any reason, legal residency has not commenced within a reasonable time (generally, ninety days from admission), the District may immediately discontinue the enrollment of the student and seek tuition for the period enrolled in the District.
- Regularly enrolled resident students in grades kindergarten through 11 whose parents or guardians move out of the District between May 1 and the end of the school year will be permitted to attend Victor Schools on a non-tuition basis until the end of the school year during which the move occurs.
- An enrolled resident senior student, whose parents or guardians move out of the District after the beginning of the school year, will be permitted to complete the senior year at Victor Senior High School without the payment of tuition upon the approval of the Superintendent of Schools.
- In addition, an enrolled resident senior student whose residency changes to a location outside the District may be allowed to complete his/her graduation requirements or other special cases when approved by the Superintendent with the knowledge of the Board.
- A student who has successfully completed the academic requirements for entering the senior year, but whose parents or guardians are not residents of the District at the beginning of the school year, will not be permitted to complete the senior year in the District.
- In determining senior student status, the beginning of the school year will be designated as the day following the student's completion of all academic requirements necessary to be enrolled as a senior student.
- Children of non-resident District employees may attend Victor Schools if permitted by specific contract language and upon the approval of the Superintendent of Schools.
In all cases, transportation shall not be provided to non-resident students except as required by law, contract or as might be arranged at no additional cost to the District.
Education Law §3202(2)