What factors determine a winter weather closing at VCS?
- Road conditions
- Temperatures, including extreme wind chill factors
- Power outages
- Weather radar and forecasts
How will I know if school is closed?
- A phone call will be made directly to your home, via a Blackboard Connect message from Superintendent Dawn Santiago-Marullo
- The local media will alerted (YNN, WHEC-TV, WROC-TV,
- WOKR-TV, WHAM, Democrat and Chronicle, etc.)
- Facebook and Twitter messages will be posted
- An updated school status will be recorded on the school district’s main telephone switchboard
This process applies not only to full day school closings, but also to two hour delays, early dismissals and evening cancellations.
School is closed and it’s not even snowing! Why?
- No one should be outside with unprotected skin with wind-chill factors in the range of -40° F. If there is such a thing as a medical reason for closure, this would be a probable medical indication for school closure and suspension of outdoor activity, including interscholastic outdoor sports, even cold weather sports.
- Injuries can occur sooner and at lower temperatures. As we are approaching wind chills of -25° F, it may be time to consider closure.
Why Are You Starting School Two Hours Late?
Why Not Just Close For The Entire Day?
- If we choose to open our doors two hours late it will be because roads and temperatures are expected to improve greatly later in the morning.
- Missing a few hours vs. an entire day benefits our children not only from a safety standpoint but an education one, too. With rigorous new standards, we want to give our students all of the instruction time possible so they are prepared for their futures.