Superintendent of Schools
August 6, 2020
Last week, the Victor Central School District submitted its reopening plan to Governor Cuomo. You can review this plan in its entirety on our NEW Reopening Page on the VCS website at victorschools.org. As of the writing of this letter we are still waiting for the Governor to give permission for schools to open in person in the fall. As always, we will adapt as necessary based on this decision.
The following is a brief overview of some key information you will find on our reopening page:
Hybrid Learning Model: The hybrid model provides students with a combination of in-person instruction and on-line learning. Some at home support may be required from parents/guardians (especially for our youngest learners) when students are not in school. You should receive a letter from your child’s principal by the end of this week explaining what days your child will be attending school in-person via the hybrid model.
On-line Learning Option: In addition to a hybrid learning model, VCS is offering a 100% on-line learning option for families who have members with compromised health conditions or other situations that may impact their child’s ability to return to in person learning. This option is best suited for students who are self-directed, independent learners. On-line learning requires at home support from parents/guardians, particularly for our young learners.
- Due to VCS’ hybrid model and in-person instruction expectations for teachers, we will not utilize synchronous (live instruction) for students who have opted into a full on-line digital learning model. Teachers will use asynchronous materials (recorded lessons and instructional materials) via Google Classroom and will be available for direct communication with your student during the week regarding assignments. Students utilizing this model will not have the same interaction with teachers as students in the hybrid model.
- Students and their parents/guardians must make the commitment to this on-line model for an extended period of time (at least 10 weeks at the 7-12 level and at least one trimester-13 weeks- at the elementary level). Students will be graded based on engagement and student performance on instructional materials.
- If you are interested in signing up for the on-line learning model, please fill out the on-line learning option form by the end of the day, August 14, 2020. (link below).
Parents/guardians will have the option to transport their students to and from school. If you are interested in opting your child out of either the am, pm or both the am and pm bus runs please fill out the Transportation Opt Out form by August 14, 2020 (link below).
Families in need will be provided access to daily meals. To order meals for children who are learning remotely, please fill out the Ford Service Meal Request form (link below).
MASK & FACE COVERING PROCEDURES:
All students in Pre-Kindergarten through the 12th grade shall be required to wear a mask or face covering:
- when at school or at a school function in any school building, facility or other area of a school campus, including while traveling in hallways;
- while waiting outside school buildings before and after school;
- while waiting at bus stops; and
- when riding in District-provided transportation.
All masks and face coverings must cover the nose and mouth of the student. Students may remove masks and face coverings for eating or drinking or during mask breaks as designated by the teacher or school administrator. The frequency of mask breaks will be proportional to the developmental level of the students. Our youngest students will have more frequent mask breaks than our older students.
More specific information on our procedure for mask wearing for students and staff can be found in the Health and Safety section of our Reopening Plan located on our website at www.victorschools.org.
REOPENING PLAN FACT SHEET:
The VCS Reopening Plan Fact Sheet breaks down key components of our plan. On one side, you will find instructional model descriptions and important links to critical forms, including signing up for the 100% on-line learning option, the transportation opt out form, and the food service meal request form. On the flip side of the sheet you will find Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (link below).
Please know that we will continue to work through details related to this plan. We are having another Re-opening Task Force meeting next week and a Virtual Town Hall the week of August 17th. As always, please reach out to your child’s principal or me if you have any questions.