The elementary school years set the foundation for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary for children to become healthy, competent and confident learners. Elementary school counselors have an impact on these years by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program and collaborating with school staff, parents and the community to create a safe and respectful learning environment. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, elementary school counselors help their students achieve academic success, develop an understanding of career opportunities and develop social/emotional skills in response to issues they face.
Elementary school counselors hold a master’s degree and required state certification in school counseling. Maintaining certification includes ongoing professional development to stay current with education reform and challenges facing today’s students. Professional association membership enhances the school counselor’s knowledge and effectiveness.
From Victor School Counseling Department:
- Email your counselor and be sure to include the following information:
- Reason for your question or concern (academic, social/emotional, college/career)
- Provide a phone number and suggest times during the hours of 7:25am-2:55pm that you would be available to further discuss any of your questions.
- Counselors will do their best to respond to your email within 24 hours during the school week.
- If you have an urgent mental health concern for the safety of a student, please contact 911 or the Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP) Mobile Crisis Unit at (315) 462-1080 or (585) 509-6606 immediately and they will send a counselor out to check on that person's well being.
Additional resources for your family are available on the www.victorschools.org website on the Distance Learning and Counseling web pages. Click on "Counseling Resources for Students While Not in School below"
Please know that as we work through these unique times, we are continuing to plan for how we can best support all students.